Sharing

 My hope is that by sharing my experience others may be helped.

To be honest, sharing is cathartic.  Maybe it will not help others, but it sure does help me.

From the very first day of diagnosis my wife Donna has been my sounding board and helped me through some emotionally difficult days.

I shared with my immediate family what I am facing. My Mom found it difficult to hear this news because it brings back all those memories of what she went through with my Dad. My Brother was easier because he is dealing with a similar thing, but his news is a bit better and he is still under watchful waiting. I suspect that at his age he will outlive this cancer. He is 71 now.

I shared with and apologized to my two sons that perhaps they will have to deal with this some day. I advised them both that they should have PSA test now so that they will have a starting point level for future reference. Maybe by the time they need a biopsy or treatment there will be far better approaches. There have been great advances even in the last ten years.

I shared with my work associates at the ABC and Conference what I was dealing with and finished up my final commitment to the work I have done for the last 28 years. I am still available for consultation but after the final bookmobile trip of 2018 I am fully retired from the ABC Christian Store and the Bookmobile. I also made a general announcement to the Conference staff so that there would not be any question as to why I was no longer working at the ABC. I did solicit their prayers!

I requested a pastoral visit from my church and asked to be added to the regular prayer list. This helped me to know others where asking God, on my behalf, to give me wisdom and to guide my treatment. One of the Pastors stopped by the house and brought a "Prayer Blanket". This is a special blanket that was made for me after the prayer team was informed. It has small knots on the fringe, each of which was tied by a volunteer while praying for me. It is a moving gesture that my church family did for me and I will treasure it as I face the days ahead. It is very comforting to know that others are praying.

The last decision I made about sharing is to share this generally, publicly. That is one of the reasons I have composed this blog maybe others could be helped by reading my experience and it helps me putting this down in this form. It helps me to review what I have learned and be clear about my choices.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do YOU Want To Do?

Over Half Done with Radiation --- The Good Cancer

Seven Radiation Treatments