Seven Radiation Treatments

Me here in my treatment room with the life saving

Varian Clinac 21EX Accelerator

After seven treatments here I am. 

Overall I am happy. My original nervousness is mostly gone and I feel a peace that I am in good Good hands. 

Everyone at the Cancer Centre is very kind and helpful. 💚 

Most days I ride my bike to the Cancer Centre between 7 and 9 kilometres depending on the route I take. The longer route has less hills and takes about the same amount of time. 

I am figuring out just how much water to drink and when in order to be full at the right time. That is probably the most difficult thing here in the beginning.

I think that I was not so nervousness but actually was real shivering from drinking all that cold water at once. I know I should drink warm water but I just can't stand it. 😅  The last couple of days they put a warm blanket on me during the treatment and that really did make me more comfortable with no shivering. 

After three days of getting x rays as part of the process they told me they would not do so many because I was lining up real easy. I am such a "good boy" 😇. It is nice not to have the x ray as part of the treatment because it goes much faster then. I think I am in there less than five minutes each time. 

In the treatment room there are a couple of large monitors that the technicians look at while they set me up. They look at them and check with me about my birthday and name and sometimes my picture, to confirm that they are treating the right person. They do this every time!

Yesterday after my treatment as I was getting myself ready to leave I looked over and said I don't see my name and birthday on the screens. I also said "the numbers must indicate how to position me."  The tech did not seem to like that, and said to me "you are not supposed to look at that". I responded "why not?" and she said, "because it is confidential patient information." I said to her "But it is MY information and I have every right to see MY information." We both stopped the debate right there, but at least she knows that I know my rights. 

It is just a butch of numbers that I don't understand without more explanation. I don't really need to know but I am just very curious about everything!

This morning I slept through my alarms so was late getting ready and had to drive to the hospital. I think the ADT and radiation are beginning to fatigue my body. I kind of get a wave of fatigue about 3 or 4 pm everyday. I sometimes nap and once this last week I laid down for a nap about 4 pm and slept through the night until about 4 am!

I am trying now not to do the nap and go to bed early because my treatments, so far have been mid morning. I have to get up early to make it on time riding bike and timing my drinking for the full bladder. 

Other than the fatigue I don't really have any of the other myriad possible side effects. I just pray that will continue. 







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do YOU Want To Do?

Over Half Done with Radiation --- The Good Cancer