Radiation Planning

 The process began today with the CT scanner.
                                                              

This is a very simple process for the patient (me). With some very high tech equipment. 

I started off several days ago preparing by eating extra high fiber to make sure my system was working smoothly. Also I had to drink a bit more than usual. For the treatment you must have full bladder and empty bowel. This is so the bladder and bowel are positioned as far as possible away from the area getting radiation. 

After completing a questionnaire on a tablet which asked a lot of very personal questions about bowl, bladder and sexual function I was questioned by the radiation therapist. He also got very personal about the above items. This preparation is crucial to having successful treatments with minimal side effects. Also I was told I must not have accidental leakage on the scanner so if I can't hold it they will stop and allow me to empty then I would have to drink more to make sure the bladder is full. This is because the machine is sensitive to moisture and if leakage happens then the machine will have to be shut down and thoroughly cleaned! 

I was then given instruction about stripping and gowning. I was assigned a cubical that is mine for the duration of treatments to store my gown between sessions. I only need a new gown once a week or if soiled. 

After gowning I was lead to the CT scanner. This was a rock hard bed covered by a sheet and plastic sheet protector. I was instructed to position my bare bum on the table and lay down gently, because it is rock hard. The two woman operating the machine uncovered the necessary area of my body and began to carefully position me. there was a horizontal and vertical laser beams that they carefully lined up on my body. They used markers and stickers to align me on the bed. They pocked and prodded me with their fingers, which was a little uncomfortable with a full bladder!. 

Then they told me I would enter the machine twice and the third time a brief scan would be taken. If everything was lined up properly that would be it. I was not lined up perfectly so after the first step I came back out of the machine and they micro adjusted my body and tried again. The second time I was perfectly aligned. 

After the scan they gave me three tattoos. One on my lower abdominal area and one on each hip. The tattoos felt like getting a shot on each of those places. They are so small they are barely visible, but this is what they will use each time to line me up on the radiation table for treatment. 

The plan is to radiate the "prostate bed" which is the area where my prostate used to be. This will hopefully eradicate the leftover cancerous prostate cells that are producing the PSA that indicates there is still some microscopic cancer cells left behind after my surgery.   

On another note: I had lab work done that indicates the ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) is working. I am thankful for this! My PSA is undetectable (lower than it has ever been 0.008 - normal should be less than 4 and without prostate less then .01 - Mine was .5 before ADT) and my Testosterone is almost completely wiped out. Mine is 0.05 normal is 8.4 - 28.8 and mine was 21.4 before treatment . This is what we hoped for.

I am thankful that so far I am having almost no side expected effects from ADT. I do sleep a little bit more than usual and most days I get a wave of fatigue in the middle of the afternoon that a short nap takes care of. And occasionally I get a little emotional and mildly depressed. I sometimes am on the verge of tears.

My exercise routine seems to be paying off. I walk or bicycle most days. When I walk I try to do about 5 K or 3 miles in an hour. When I bike I try to do at least 10 K or 6 miles also in a little over an hour. \

I feel very blessed with a supportive wife and am really enjoying being retired. It is as good as I had hoped it would be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do YOU Want To Do?

Over Half Done with Radiation --- The Good Cancer

Seven Radiation Treatments