First Day Post Surgery

The anesthesiologist had warned me that I might experience some wild dreams when I was under I was just a little disappointed that nothing happened no special dreams to tell anybody about.

I remember half waking up and looking at the clock in the recovery room and then going out again. I think this happened several times and one of those times.
I looked at the clock on the wall and every time they woke me up it seemed like I had been out for hours but it was only two or three minutes. I think the anesthesiologist  was trying to give me a Popsicle or ice! I felt I went out again for a long time but then the nurse was calling my name, way in the distance and when I awoke I saw the clock again and it was less then 5 minutes from the previous look. I was kind of awake at this point but I don't remember much. The nurse asked me if I remembered the Popsicle and I said "I think so." I don't know why but this made her laugh. I still wonder if there ever was a Popsicle or if this was some kind of test/trick.

I know each time they woke me up I just wanted them to leave me alone and let me sleep ,🥴 lol.  Finally at some point I came out of it and then I was pretty much fully awake and in pain. Every time they woke me up I felt like I needed to poop but that probably would not be possible because I was cleaned out. The nurse said that was normal to feel that. Why don't they tell you that you're going to experience these things before you have the surgery so you know that it's normal?

I was glad when they told me that they did not have to give me blood but I did lose quite a bit I think they said 700 cc. In spite of that they said my blood gases where pretty good so they did not have to give me a blood transfusion.  I know they are really careful about testing blood that it's healthy but it's always in the back of your mind what if the donor had something. For the last week I have been eating lots of spinach and other stuff that is high in iron and calcium so maybe that really did help me to have extra whatever in my blood. Also, I had oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast everyday and I was surprised when I read that oatmeal is fairly high in iron. 

It was at least 3 hours since I entered the surgical suit until I was awake, maybe even 4.

I think I was in post-op for 2 or 3 hours and then a nurse from the surgery wing came and said she was going to move me to my permanent location. She did not have any help but she took me to my room on that rolling table bed. She pushed me down the hall and down the elevator to the next floor. She said it was just the luck of the draw but I got a private room I was very happy because that allows me to talk to my phone and to listen to music and I don't have to worry about bothering somebody else. I did bring earbuds but I'd prefer not to have to use them.

She got the bed and the mobile bed about the same height and had me slide over very slowly because I was beginning to feel a fair bit of pain. she said they were a bit short-staffed so that's why she was doing this by herself.

They instructed me on the pump for pain meds and told me to use it if I had "any" pain. They assured me I could not overdose and they would prefer I use more than I think I needed. They told me I would recover faster if I was not in pain.

 I think my pain was about a 4 out of 10 and it is significantly less today probably 2 out of 10, so I really feel that I am getting better. The only problem is that I am still draining quite a bit of blood from the tube in my belly and they won't let me go home until that stops.

I was very glad that she was extra careful with the tubes coming out of me because I have heard horror stories of orderlies mistakenly yanking on the catheter and that can be a disaster because it can damage where the urethra connects to the bladder. Just to explain for those who may not know about the surgery. In men the prostate is right at the bottom of the bladder and the urethra goes right through the middle of it so when they do this operation they have to cut the urethra on both sides of the prostate to get it out. Then they sew the urethra back together with the bladder. That's the reason you have a catheter for a couple of weeks to give that sewing job time to heal. I watched a surgery like this on YouTube and it was quite amazing how they sew that tube back together.
They put special leggings on my calves that alternately inflate and squeeze. This helps to prevent blood clots from forming and going up my legs. This can happen when you are laying in bed for long stretches of time and not moving much.
My wife Donna, came and spent several hours here with me and was here when I first got up and walked around the hallways the first trip was not easy and I was pretty wobbly so I needed help but by evening or late afternoon I was able to do several laps by myself and then about 5:30 they came and informed me that they had to move me to a room with another patient I wish I didn't have to do that but they have a patient that is a problem and she needs to be in a room by herself so they can take care of her better and so I'm going to have a room mate they said she's a really nice woman and it could be nice to have someone to visit with a bit. Well that was my first day so far and I hope I have a better sleep tonight because my pain has subsided significantly.

Image may contain: Dan Wells, indoor





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do YOU Want To Do?

Over Half Done with Radiation --- The Good Cancer

Seven Radiation Treatments